May Is Mental Health Awareness Month
One in 5 Americans is affected by mental health conditions. Stigma is toxic to their mental health because it creates an environment of shame, fear and silence that prevents many people from seeking help and treatment. The perception of mental illness won’t change unless we act to change it. Learn more at https://www.nami.org/mentalhealthmonth
I am worried about my friend. How can I help them?
- Listen up. Let them take the lead.
- Keep it casual. Relax: think of it as a chill chat not a therapy session
- Avoid offering advice or trying to fix their problem.
- Let them know it’s ok to feel the way they do
- Ask open ended questions. Help them to talk not just say “yes” or “no”
- Let them open up at their own speed
- Don’t demand answers or force them to talk
- Encourage them to talk to an expert.
- Let them know you will never judge them and it won’t change how you feel about them.
Learn more at https://seizetheawkward.org/